Baxi highlights danger of CO poisoning for Gas Safety Week

Baxi highlights danger of CO poisoning for Gas Safety Week

As recently released figures demonstrate a ten per cent rise in suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings, UK boiler manufacturer Baxi is championing the importance of Gas Safety Week

Gas Safety Week, co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, is held every year to raise awareness of poorly maintained gas appliances, and the seriousness of the associated consequences.

This year, gas safety is more relevant than ever, with research highlighting a 10 per cent rise in suspected CO poisoning cases over the last two years. A further 20 per cent rise has been identified amongst children as well as a 17 per cent rise amongst those aged 60 and over.

Jon Philips, head of product management for Baxi, said: “Every day, four people will go to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, which is a deeply worrying statistic. Gas Safety Week is an opportunity to consider how we can reduce gas related incidents through taking every available precaution when it comes to installing and maintaining gas appliances.

“For gas installers, CO is an all too familiar risk. As industry experts out on the front line they are ideally placed to help hammer the message home and raise awareness of safety standards across the board. Gas safety is about educating both the industry and the general public, and the awareness raised by Gas Safety Week is vital to that. We’re delighted to lend our voice to this incredibly important cause which is so close to our hearts.”

There are a number of simple ways installers can help to pass gas safety advice onto others. Be it a new installation, general call out or an annual service, every job is an opportunity to educate customers on the dangers of CO and the steps they can take to stay safe. For properties with fuel-burning appliances installed, such as a wood-burning fire or gas boiler, it’s best practice to ensure each floor is fitted with a minimum of one CO alarm, and the boiler should be regularly serviced by a Gas Safe registered heating engineer. As well as protecting against the risk of CO poisoning, carbon monoxide alarms can provide an early warning sign of failing gas appliances, making them an important tool in improving safety.

For more information on Gas Safety Week please visit or

Related posts