Outstanding achievements in house building were celebrated on Friday as NHBC announced the four Supreme Winners of the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards 2016 at a gala dinner to an industry audience of 750 people, with special guest comedian Greg Davies.
Beating around 16,000 site managers, four winners were chosen from four categories representing the breadth and range of the UK’s house-building industry. Pride in the Job has been running for 36 years, and is operated by NHBC, the UK’s leading warranty provider and standards setter for new homes.
The competition is dedicated to recognising site managers who oversee housing schemes from beginning to end. Judging is rigorous, the process involves over 350 judges and takes place throughout the build process recognising site managers who know how to go one stage better, whose hard work ensures we live in high quality homes and rewards dedication and expertise.
The winners of the competition’s four builder categories are the best site managers in the UK house building industry working on projects registered for warranty with NHBC, which covers around 80 percent of the new home insurance market.
The winners are:
• John Greggain of L Greggain & Co Ltd won the Small Builder category for Myrtle Meadows, Steynton. John has worked in building industry for 20 years, and previously served as a Royal Marine.
• Steve Walker of C G Fry & Son Ltd was named as the Medium Builder category winner for second year in a row for managing Phase 1 North East Quadrant, Poundbury. Steve has a track record that sits among the very best site managers over the 36 years of the competition
• Russell Bond of Barratt London Aldgate took the Multi-storey Builder category title for managing the build of Aldgate Place, London. Russell has worked in the building industry for 19 years.
• Bill Hughes of Miller Homes North West won the Large Builder category for his management of The Views, Billinge. A veteran of the industry with a career so far spanning 48 years, starting out as a joiner.
Mike Quinton, NHBC Chief Executive, said:
“Every year, the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards gives us the chance to celebrate the efforts site managers go to promoting continuous improvement in the quality of new homes, year on year, for homeowners and their families to enjoy.
“I would like to congratulate everybody recognised in the 2016 competition – they are a credit to our industry, the companies they work for, and of course to themselves. John, Steve, Russell and Bill beat an incredible number of others to win the title, and can be proud to claim to be among the best in the business.”
The runners-up were:
• Large – Paul Cunningham – Taylor Wimpey West Scotland– Dargavel Village, Bishopton
• Multi-storey – Mark Pinder – Midgard Ltd- Newbury Racecourse Central, Newbury
• Medium – Stuart Gillespie – Mactaggart and Mickel Homes Ltd – Greenan Views, Ayr
• Small – Derek Ratcliffe- Landex Ltd – Goodlands, Boxford
For more information click here.