The finalists for the 38th annual Johnstone’s Trade Painter of the Year Awards have been announced. The prestigious awards will once again bring together the finest painters and decorators from around the country to celebrate the best that the industry has to offer.
Despite the challenges of the past year, the industry has continued to produce some outstanding work across a range of settings; from high-end residential properties to new hospital facilities. The awards will see 23 finalists compete across six categories; Residential, Commercial, Education, Healthcare, Industry, Hospitality and Leisure & Retail, with one winner taking home the title of Supreme Painter of the Year.
This year the awards will take place virtually to align with social distancing requirements, with the winners for each category being determined by peer-to-peer voting that will take place later on in the month. One winner for each of the six categories will be decided, as well as an overall Supreme Winner who will drive away with a brand-new Painter of the Year van.
The finalists for each category are as follows:
- Opus Services UK Ltd for Carpenters Road, Birmingham
- WD Davison & Sons Ltd for Glebe House, Durham
- Opus Services UK Ltd for Four Ashes, Solihull
- Mackay Decorators Perth Ltd for Pure Offices, Edinburgh
- Davisons Solutions Ltd for Royal Middlehaven House, Middlesbrough
- Astryan NE Ltd for North Allerton Council, York
- Midland Decorators Ltd for Unite HQ, Birmingham
- Total Decorating Solutions Ltd for Stowmarket High School
- Smith Painters Ltd for The Spine, Liverpool
- D&D Decorators Ltd for Ayr Grammar School
- Curtis Painting Group for Clatterbridge Cancer Centre, Liverpool
- Total Decorating Solutions Ltd for Fairhavens Hospice, Southend-on-Sea
- Nelson Decorators for Swords Nursing Home, Co. Dublin
- TOL Decorators Ltd for NHS Nightingale, Birmingham
Hospitality, Leisure and Retail
- Decorus Painting Contractors for St Enoch Centre, Glasgow
- Bell Group for the Telegraph Hotel, Coventry.
- N Purdy & Co Ltd for Innside by Melia, Gateshead.
- R E Martin (Manchester) Ltd for Derby Silk Mill
- Hankinson Group for Liverpool Watersports Centre
- Hankinson Group for Valley Bridge, Scarborough
- Hendersons for RAF Lossiemouth, Moray
- Metcalf Commercial Decorators Ltd for Westbrook Properties, Smethwick
- Story Decorating Group for Manchester Airport
EWI and Render, Domestic and Commercial Award
- This year two winners have been chosen by experienced professionals at PPG for the EWI and Render award. For the commercial award, congratulations go to Hodgson Specialist Rendering for their expert work on The Premier Inn at Scarborough, and the domestic award goes to J & J Plasterers Ltd for their work on a stunning new build at Slouchlaw Bay, Stranraer.
Rachel Copley, head of marketing at PPG, said: “We’re delighted to be running the Painter of the Year Awards again, albeit in a virtual capacity. The awards are a highlight for painters and decorators across the industry, as it’s an opportunity to recognise, celebrate and reward their outstanding craftsmanship.
“The past year has been one of the most challenging to date, but the Painter of the Year awards is proof of the industry’s perseverance and tenacity. The entries we’ve received have really demonstrated how decorators have continued to safeguard and beautify some of the country’s most important buildings. It was difficult shortlisting down to this stage and we congratulate all the finalists, and we cannot wait to see the outcome of the votes for the winners in the coming weeks.”
For more information about Johnstone’s Trade, visit www.johnstonestrade.com